Upcoming Residency Opportunities
Application Opens: August 16th, 2021
Performances: March 4th and 5th, 2022
- Queer & Trans / Black, Indigenous, & POC artists are encouraged to apply.
- Eligible artists must have three years of professional experience. If you have attended school for dance/music/theater, this means three years post-graduation. If you don’t have three years and still want to be considered, please contact us.
- Eligible artists must be in the Bay Area for the majority of the residency period in early 2022 (see full dates above). Please note that we are unable to provide housing to residents.
Each artist in residence receives:
- Six hours of free rehearsal space a week for eight weeks (48 hours total) in Studio 210 located at 3435 Cesar Chavez in San Francisco;
- Weekly one-on-one mentorship with Deborah Slater, Artistic Director of Deborah Slater Dance Theater. Slater will periodically attend rehearsals as desired by the Resident;
- Two performances of 20 minutes or fewer per Resident with audience discussion and feedback. The final presentation does not have to be a completed piece. These performances can be explorations of ideas, a work-in-progress, or a showing of fragments of work. This is not a space for polishing existing work;
- An artist stipend provided by DSDT.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Former Residency Artists:
2021 Summer Residency: Alyssandra Katherine Dance & Angela Arteritano
2021 Winter Residency: Cynthia Ling Lee & Bahiya Movement/Afia & Nafi Thomson
2020 Residency: Evan Johnson/Cosmic Elders Theatre Ensemble & Bhumi B. Patel/pateldanceworks
2019 Residency: Emelia (Jubilee July) MartínezBrumbaugh & Nol Simonse with Miche Wong
2018 Residency: Julie Crothers & Kuan-Hsuan Lee
2017 Residency: 13th Floor & Sarah Cecilia
2016 Residency: Tammy Johnson & Larry / Laura Arrington
2015 Residency: Marina Fukushima & Beth Wilmurt
2014 Residency: Emma Jaster, Erin Malley
2013 Residency: Chris Black, Megan Finlay
2012 Residency: Rosemary Hannon, Nol Simonse